Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna

To: <BobK8IA@aol.com>, <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <mark@concertart.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:08:14 -0400
> I have no idea what was in that Cantenna but I assumed it
was a high
> probability that it was PCB, since the real PCB
"awareness" never hit the company
> until late in the 70s. Like Jim says, unless its in high
concentrations or chronic
> exposure it really isnt much of a health issue.

In the early 70's I was swapping old radios to a local
Toledo Edison employee for old 4160-volt pole pigs. They had
PCB oil inside.

He warned me that people who routinely handled the
transformers without washing their hands seemed to have a
high incidence of skin cancer, while people who wore gloves
or washed up good after soaking their hands in the PCB oil
did not.

He actually disposed of the oil for me, before giving me the
transformers. They still dripped oil a little. I used dozens
of those transformers in power supplies without worry. They
made nice HV power transformers when bridge rectified.

73 Tom