Re: [TowerTalk] 80 4-square inside a 160 4-square? Pros and Cons please!

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 4-square inside a 160 4-square? Pros and Cons please!
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
> The function of that network is to ground the 160 elements
> for 80 meter signals while parallel resonating on 160 so it
> is open circuit on 160.

If I understand what you are proposing, the 160 elements
would be grounded halfwaves when operating on 80.  They would
still distort the pattern (I modeled this on EZNEC).
(The distortion is less that it would be if it were
floating).

I think you would need another trap halfway up, and in that
case you want to float the 160 element on 80, not ground it.  This is like
with guy wires:  < 1/3 wl if floating, < 1/6 wl if grounded.

Rick N6RK