Re: [TowerTalk] Breakall short vertical

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Breakall short vertical
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:00:02 -0400
  From: Tom Rauch
  To: towertalk@contesting.com ; Pete Smith
  Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 8:18 AM

  > Am I right to assume that although the feedpoint impedance
  is 50 ohms, the
  > ground loss picture is really closer to that of a single
  short inverted L,
  > and is established by the feedpoint impedance of a single
  L rather than the
  > 4 together?  Any other comments on the antenna?

  You are correct Pete. The ground losses are identical to a
  single antenna. What you essentially have with multiple
  drops is an impedance matching system. The multiple top
  wires might spread the E- and H- field losses of the
  horizontal wire around, and could reduce them a little bit.
  I'd have to think about that a while, hi hi. Otherwise, it
  is the same as a regular Inverted L the same height. You
  have the same ground currents, and the same ground losses.

  Multiple drops and folded elements do NOT reduce ground
  losses, since the sum of currents flowing into the ground
  always remains the same independent of how many drops the
  antenna has for a given antenna height.

  There is no such thing as a free lunch. You would need a
  good ground.

  73 Tom