Re: [TowerTalk] sealing connectors

To: <Towertalk@contesting.com>, "Art" <ky1k@pivot.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sealing connectors
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:36:18 -0400
Art.....I've seen it for sale as "Plasti-Dip", but I've actually used something
very similar under two other names:
"Dip & Grip" from Repair-It Indistries of Barberton, Ohio (Don't recall where I
got it)
"Rubberize-It" from the DIY Div. of Rhodes American of Chicago, IL (Got it at
ServiStar Hardware, SKU 22689 967C $6.99)
Both worked pretty much the same...primarily designed for dipping tool
handles... but I use a disposable brush to paint it on (as the last coat, over
tape) to coax connections exposed to the elements. I haven't had any peeling
problem in over 3 years with either one, and connections I had to open up for
other reasons showed no sign of leakage, so I think it's a worthwhile product.

It's important to note that although the two products work and act in similar
fashion, their composition is entirely different. The "Dip & Grip" container
says it has "no harmful odors or vapors"...clean-up and thinning is with
rubbing alchohol. The "Rubberize It" product contains toluene and cleans up
with mineral spirits. For that reason, I prefer the "Dip-It".

As always, your mileage may vary :-)

73,  Jerry K3BZ