Re: [TowerTalk] Do you tell them?

To: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Do you tell them?
From: Jeff Chambers <jeffchambers@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:31:39 -0600
Hi Alan,

About two years ago I was in a very similar situation. Just bought a new house with no CC&R's about antennas, and a City that was indifferent about non-commercial towers. I didn't know any of my neighbors at the time and had the same thoughts as you are having now.

I decided to pay the $22 for a building permit after the suggestions that if I have the unfortunate experience of making an claim with my insurance company if some loss occurred because of the tower. I can't imagine it falling down, but it has happened to others.

If you don't go the route of a building permit, I would strongly suggest that you document that your installation complies with the 'Prime Directive', just in case.

I didn't tell any of my neighbors before I put it up (Tri-Ex W-51), save the one that helped me move the tower from my driveway to the back yard. Afterwards, the comments were, "Wow! I bet you get ALL the T.V. stations..", "I don't think that it's ugly or obnoxious...", and "Hey! Have you ever seen the movie 'Contact'? Could you do that with that?"

73,
Jeff  KK7MQ

PS... I'm sure that the fact that I park a police car in front of the house doesn't have any influence on what the neighbors say about it (to me)... But I guess it might :)

Build a mile of road, you can travel a mile......
Build a mile of runway, you can travel the world!