RE: [TowerTalk] Do you tell them?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Do you tell them?
From: "Dave Cook" <davec@netdave.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:22:39 -0700
I had exactly the same dilemma. I had befriended several of my neighbors
before I got approval from the city, but I didn't tell the neighbors what I
was going to do. I schmoozed them up about ham radio, telling them I was a
member of the local backup emergency communications group (which I am)
sponsored by the city. I'd had wire antennas up for some time and wanted to
make sure I wasn't RFI'ing them. I got the go-ahead from the city, as you
did, to put up a modest 35 foot tower. I went ahead and did it and have had
no problems since, with either the city or the neighbors. One of my
neighbors mentioned to me that my next-door neighbor was not too happy about
it, but I haven't heard a peep out of that adjacent neighbor directly. I
check with the neighbors every few months to make sure they're RFI-free, and
I think they appreciate that I'm anxious to make sure there are no problems.
So, so far so good. The bottom line is, at least in my case, is to make
friends with your neighbors and make sure they understand that you care
about their concerns - up to the point where the city has given you approval
for your construction.

73, Dave, WA0TTN