Re: [TowerTalk] RCS-4 Coax Switch

To: <K8fu@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RCS-4 Coax Switch
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:36:59 -0400
I set mine up to ground everything except the antenna in use. All antennas
have baluns which puts them at DC ground potential as far as static build up
as well.  There is a polyphaser right at the feed coax input to the switch.
So far it's still working after three years and at least 9 direct hits to
the tower and who knows how many nearby strikes.

Without using static build up protection such as setting the relays up as
normally grounded and not using baluns that put the wires at DC ground I'd
expect to see some problems.

Of course if the antenna takes a direct hit there isn't much that will
protect the relays.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com