RE: [TowerTalk] Lighting

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Lighting
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:53:03 -0000
Its definitely a myth.  Grounding does not prevent strikes, though it
may stop you from getting damage from strikes so you don't know you ever
had them.  Also the statistics of the geographic distribution of strokes
is such that it takes 5-10 years of collecting damage data to determine
if a protective measure has done any real good.  Comparing one year to
the next or even worse month to month is totally worthless as the
geographic distribution of strokes varies radically over short
periods... so someone who says they took several hits last year, did
something, and then got no hits this year is likely just seeing the
normal year to year variation of stroke locations.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net