Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Pipe/Tubing Needed

To: "Larry Burke WI5A" <burkelj@sbcglobal.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Pipe/Tubing Needed
From: "Mike Bragassa-Canada Consolidated Oil Ltd" <bragassa@consolidated.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:29:50 -0500
Larry: Do not use any 1/8" wall thickness pipe, only... maybe.... if you
are...only... pulling/lowering straight down the sides of the tower. 1/8"
will not take the side force when loading at an off angle like when using a
tram-line. It will foldover right in front of your eyes! Maybe not the
first/second time depending upon the force, but eventually. (Been there,
done that!)

I ordered my 1/4" wall thickness pipe from a local pipe supply house ("Red
Man Supply"?) in Conroe. They had to get it out of Houston. On the OD make
sure you spell it out exactly and say "OD", as there is a difference between
API standards  and  whatever standards', say, plumbing pipe is? API
standards pipe/casing is the OD and other standards, I think are or can be
the ID. Another "been there....//..".
Prior to making the above purchase and from a different supplier,  I bought
(and still have!)  a 10-15  foot joint of  1/4" wall,  2" ID x 2.5"...OD
aluminium pipe. Doesn't fit too well in the gin pole pulley appratus that I
am stuck with as I needed 2" OD..

Mike Bragassa, K5UO