Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline from obsolete analog cellular sites (?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline from obsolete analog cellular sites (?)
From: "Cameron Crum" <ccrum@dot11net.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:35:51 -0500
No reason they would be ripping this stuff out. Just because the RTT changes
doesn't mean they are using different frequencies that would require a
change of coax. In fact, I can tell you from spec-ing the stuff out myself
over the last decade that most people are using Andrew or Comscope 1" to 1
5/8" heliax depending on the length of the run. They use it for frequencies
ranging from 750 MHz up to 1.9 GHz. Also, I've seen them take this stuff
down before too. Unlike most of us, the carriers have lots of money to spend
on putting new stuff up, so it is not treated with care. I doubt most of it
would be usable again.

Cameron