Re: [TowerTalk] Sacramento CA ?

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sacramento CA ?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:16:12 -0700
At 11:10 PM 7/22/2004 +0000, Jim Jarvis wrote:

OK, gang....

I just booked a new gig, requiring that we move to
Sacramento County CA.   Anyone onboard who can comment
on the antenna/zoning issues in the 5 municipalities in
the county?

How are things further toward Tahoe?  Other direction...
nearer SF?

Just about to begin a regional housing search, and would like
to get my yagi up.  Last I heard, there were no trees in the
desert....so wires won't work.

N2EA

jimjarvis@ieee.org

How far up towards Tahoe? My in-laws live in Nevada County, which is by and large quite rural and things are moderately unrestricted, but changing rapidly, as people move to the foothills from the Bay Area.

From a CC&R standpoint, the newer areas on the outskirts of Sacramento might be worse than actually in the city, because the development activity is newer and more regulated.

Rick Karlquist has a very nice 7 element phased array on some acreage in Galt, roughly half way between Sacramento and Stockton (which are 45 miles apart).

Sacramento is, as you are no doubt aware, on a huge flat floodplain (flatter than Kansas) with a fairly high water table (and topsoil that extends dozens of feet down). You have to go 10-20 miles east to start hitting the foothills, and probably 50 miles west to get into the coast ranges. You can go 100 miles north or south without changing elevation more than 10-20 feet.

If you are really unconstrained in your location, and you want to choose for optimum radio, you might consider the San Joaquin delta area... pretty darn close to the "antenna over a salt water marsh" kind of situation...

However, I suspect that your choice of living areas may be more determined by driving and commuting time. Check into this very carefully. The area has expanded (population wise) a lot in the last 10 years, and the road capacity has not kept up.