Re: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:05:07 -0700
At 09:46 AM 7/29/2004 -0500, Jim Brown wrote:
>Pretty much the same here. 600 ohm balanced pair to the house.

What is coming into the house on a 600 ohm balanced pair? An RF transmission
line I would believe. A telco line or audio line I would not. The military surplus field
telephone transmission line being discussed in conjunction with the Beverage thread
on the Top Band reflector was cited as being 150 ohms, and someone confirmed
that with measurements.

I'm a fairly old guy, and I have never seen a transmission line having a Zo much
greater than about 150 ohms that wasn't some form of either ladder line or open wire
line. Virtually all cable used for telco and audio has a Zo on the order of 50-100
ohms. Doing the arithmetic for Zo and cable construction shows that it's pretty
difficult to get a Zo greater than about 200 ohms using anything but open wire line. A
careful study of a cable catalog (Belden, for example) will confirm this.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

600 ohms is pretty much a standard for audio balanced pairs. Think about it.. 3 kHz, the wavelength is around 100 km... I think you can consider a phone line (or audio cable) as a lumped component, not a transmission line.

The nominal terminating impedance for phone connections IS 600 ohms (i.e. that's the impedance used in things like transformer hybrids). It's also the standard impedance used for specifying things like signal and power levels. Since the frequencies are low, the fact that the actual line impedance is much less (probably around 100 ohms, like most twisted pairs) isn't a problem, although there is the interesting fact of "loading coils" on voice grade lines (used to compensate for the capacitance of the pair).

Recall that originally, all phone lines WERE open wire pairs, and fairly far apart to boot. They may well have been 600 ohm characteristic impedance (but I doubt it).