Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:46:11 -0400
Pete.. I put in a peripheral ground system, but I didn't have to dig a trench.
I used my gas edger to cut a slot in the lawn from the AC service entrance
around the house to my SPG box, and then for good measure I continued the rest
of the way around with the exception of the driveway. For that, I used a 4"
wide concrete block chisel to cut a 3" - 5" deep slot in the blacktop where it
meets the concrete garage floor pan. I laid a full circle of #4 solid copper
around, with ground rods every 15-20 feet along the length of it. Everything is
tied to this peripheral ground....the service ground (I put in a second one, I
didn't know how long the first one had been in) plus the ground rods for the
vertical and the tower. There are rods every 15 - 20 feet along every leg
longer than that, and three rods in a string on each leg of the tower. Every
piece of equipment in the shack is tied to the same ground bus, which goes
direct to the SPG.

It was a lot of work, but I think it was worth it.

73,  Jerry K3BZ