Re: [TowerTalk] Raising Crank Up Tower to Vertical

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raising Crank Up Tower to Vertical
From: "Michael A. Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:24:37 -0500 (CDT)
>> This time, no trees. I've been searching for information on the US Tower
>> erection facility, but nothing but dead ends. And I don't want to pop
>> for $700 if their product won't fit or work. I can't get dimensions or a
>> drawing anywhere.
>>
>> I'm looking for any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on how to get the
>> crank up vertical.

Mike wrote

Something else I've seen done.  This is kind of hard to explain but I
believe most will get the idea.  Attach a piece of pipe, square tubing etc
to the tower "vertically" near the base.  Essensially you'll have an "L"
looking set up.  Then using a ground anchor (or two) hook your
come-a-long, chain fall, rope pully, whatever to the top of the pipe.  Run
a guy or two from the pipe to the top and middle of the tower, then pull
the new vertical extension towards the ground, thus lifting the tower to
the vertical position. I've seen this done this at field day for lifting
push up poles into place that must be extended prior to going vertical.

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

Character = How you treat people who can do nothing for you in return!