Re: [TowerTalk] Raising Crank Up Tower to Vertical

To: "Bob Farkaly" <rfarkaly@san.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raising Crank Up Tower to Vertical
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:18:03 -0000
I used a wire rope winch, rated at 4000 lbs, to pull my LM-470 vertical.  I
buried an 8" diameter wheel 3 feet in the ground with a 1/2" dia x 36" long
threaded rod extending from the wheel to the surface of the ground and
installed a hook on the end of the rod to fasten one end of the winch to.  I
also placed a 3" x 3" x 24" steel angle ahead of the rod at the ground
surface so the rod would not drift toward the tower as I pulled.  Then I
placed 2 each 3" diameter x 9' long end posts (from commercial quality chain
link fencing) in the shape of an A frame at the base of the tower, the end
posts being vertical with another 1/2" diameter threaded rod through the
tops of the end posts to form a gin pole.  I then ran a 1/4" wire rope from
near the top of the tower, across the top of my gin pole to the rope winch
and pulled.  It almost broke the winch but the tower is now vertical.

de Paul, W8AEF