Re: [TowerTalk] snow static, Quad v. Yagi

To: <jimjarvis@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] snow static, Quad v. Yagi
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:13:48 -0700
On static bleed paths...
The charging current should be quite low, since the antenna is physically
fairly small.  The cases reported in the literature of continuous sparks are
from things like miles of telegraph wires strung across the prarie.
On an antenna with no DC path to ground (say there's a transformer balun)
then there's no path for the charge to ground, so it will just build up
until it sparks into air.
On an antenna with a DC path (like a dipole fed with coax), one arm of the
antenna is directly connected to ground at some point (presumably the shield
of the coax is grounded somewhere, if only though the chassis of the radio
and the third pin ground).  the other arm is probably dc connected through
the input impedance of the radio.

One could make a good case for always having some DC path, with reasonably
high impedance, from every conductor to ground.  It could be a fairly high
impedance (several tens of K) since the current is low (microamps, probably)
so the DC voltage won't be all that high. It would also prevent your static
discharge path from becoming a lightning discharge path.

Jim raises an interesting point about parasitic elements on a Yagi which are
ungrounded. Clearly, they could accumulate charge from blowing particles
(dust, rain, snow, etc.) , and periodically discharge with a breakdown, and
the resulting impulse is almost guaranteed to have a fair amount of power
"in-band" since it's coupled to a nice resonator.