RE: [TowerTalk] snow static, Quad v. Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] snow static, Quad v. Yagi
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 00:12:08 -0000
Of course the gradient is real, and very measurable... even in clear
air.  Even with no storm around there is a gradient that can be easily
measured and a current constantly flowing from the ground that can be
measured.  I forget the exact values but the gradient is on the order of
.1 kv/m and current is couple pA/m^2. When a storm approaches this
gradient gets much larger 10-20kv/m(? off the top of my head) and causes
the corona effects seen on towers and buildings and heard in radios.
When a lightning leader approaches it increases even more until the air
breaks down and streamers form...  a nearby lightning discharge of
course suddenly reduces the local gradient by neutralizing the pocket of
charge in the cloud that had formed, at least temporarily.  It should be
noted that even snow clouds can develop quite a charge separation,
rarely enough to trigger lightning, but often enough to cause corona on
ground structures.  Dust and blowing snow can also create a charge
gradient by the collisions with the ground and other particles (the same
mechanism that separates charge in a thunderstorm except there its
between colliding ice crystals moving up and down).  Even the turbulent
flow of hot dust and gasses from volcanoes can cause enough charge build
up to cause lightning.

Enough speculation... do some reading:
http://ae.atmos.uah.edu/AE/abstracts/Latham64a.html
http://www.avalanche.org/~moonstone/issw%2094'/measurements%20of%20the%2
0electric%20field%20gradient%20in%20a%20blizzard.htm
http://www.spacegrant.montana.edu/Text/SandStorm.html
http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~veron/LightningNotes.pdf

go google if you want more, there are thousands of them out there along
similar veins.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net