[TowerTalk] TH-7DX , traps, etc

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH-7DX , traps, etc
From: "Mike Bragassa" <bragassa@consolidated.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:48:05 -0500
Heavy on the "etc":

Seems I did not mention the balun that was on the TH-7 prior (keyword). As a
test I put a different balun in place of the one I had on it. That was the
problem, it appears, as VSWR is at/below 2:1 on all bands, particularly 10m
which was thought to be a problem. Nice dips across the spectrum where they are
supposed to be, etc. I had the extra balun handy or I was going to, and may
still, 'roll-my-own'' choke.

The traps had been completely cleaned/inspected prior to the final tests.
Another suggestion for ground-testing, and I had forgotten it, is to hoist the
antenna up vertical with the reflector at least 5 feet off the ground. If the
balun test above had failed, I was going to do this next. There also was
another trap testing tip using an Autek RF Analyst and checking impedance
across the ungrounded end of the trap cover and the element. Thanks!

Many thanks to all who responded.

Case closed!

73, Mike Bragassa, K5UO