[TowerTalk] Tower base dimensions - why?

To: "TOWERTALK" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower base dimensions - why?
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:54:39 -0500
Not being an engineer, will someone tell me why?

What are the actual important things about the tower base?

My thoughts:

1. must extend below the frost line.
2. weight
3. surface large enough to attach the tower.
(4. rebar etc.)

Now: ( I know this is more concrete than is needed, but that is not the
question)

Compare these shapes (equal weight of concrete):
(Assume all meet the frost line requirements.)

1. a base that is 36x36x65
2. a base that is 42x42x48
3. a base that is 48x48x36.75

I would think 36x36x65 would give me a lot more stability than the others.
Or are the 3 reasons above the only things we should care about?
What are the reasons the tower manufacturers spec the bases in the shapes they
do?  Just because it is easier to dig a shallow(er) hole than a deep one?

Tnx es 73, de Jim KG0KP