Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base dimensions - why?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base dimensions - why?
From: Bill Austin <billaustin@powernet.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:32:10 -0700
Alan makes a good point. The first thing you should do is find out what's required, and then explore your options. It doesn't matter much what you calculate or think is best, it's what the engineer who designs the foundation comes up with that really matters.

I live in the same area as Alan, but in a different jurisdiction. His building department required a design that met calculations for 90mph, mine required 150mph. His foundation was a little smaller (like 4x4x7deep) and used something like 4 yards of concrete, where mine was 10x10x5deep and required 13 yards of 4500psi concrete. His tower is a 40ft Heights, mine is a 60ft Trylon.

Things are going to be a little different for every tower. It's very important to follow the design engineers plan, along with your building department's requirements.

73,
Bill

One thing to consider is what your Bldg Dept requires before they will issue a Bldg Permit. In my case they required 90 MPH Wind Calcs to IBC-2000 specs. I was going to order a tower from U.S. Towers but all they could provide were 70 MPH wind calcs to UBC-97 specs. These were not acceptable to my Bldg Dept. U.S. Towers does not have a full time PE on staff to do the wind calcs and told me they could get them from an outside P.E. for $250.00. I gave them the OK to contact the outside P.E. but he was not able to provide them.
Guess what I'm trying to say is rather than seeing what all the options are find out first what will be accepted.
73 & GL

Jim Miller wrote:

Your answer is exactly why I think the deeper base would be the most stable.
Guess I didn't specify why in the original message.  Waiting to see what the
engineers have to say.  Good luck with Ivan.  Looks like you will get real
wet if nothing else.

73, Jim

    ----- Original Message ----- From: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>