Re: [TowerTalk] Calculations

To: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calculations
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:34:56 -0700
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Cc: <WarrenWolff@aol.com>; <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 12:24 AM

> OK, I agree with what you said.  But why can't a major manufacturer
> like UST provide these calcs when required and smaller guys like
> Tashjian Towers and Heights Towers can?

Just a business decision, I guess... UST may figure they've got better fish
to fry, as it were, and don't want to make the investment. Without knowing
more about the internal finances of the various companies, and their
management/sales philosophy it's hard to tell.  For almost every
manufactured item, some companies are very willing to customize and work
with the customer, others are "take it or leave it". In general, the larger
the company, the larger liability exposure they have, and the less likely
they are to bend.

By the way, in many states, it is illegal for an engineer to just review
another engineer's calculations and stamp them. (it's called
"plan-stamping") The plans/calculations have to be produced by, or under the
direct supervision, of the sealing engineer.["span of control" is the term
of art]  The idea is that there's a lot in the design process that doesn't
wind up on paper, and only the original engineer would know what tradeoffs
were made, what unstated assumptions, etc.

As a practical matter, though, an engineer could review a set of
calculations, and generate a report stating that he had reviewed the plans,
perhaps giving some additional analysis, and that report could be sealed,
and might meet with the approval of the building authorities.

Jim, W6RMK