RE: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:25:46 -0500
Your assumption about future reduced need for hams at public functions is
logical.  And yes, for those events with a big budget, they can hire
professionals to do the communications.  However, the majority of public
functions will need "free" ham radio assistance, especially those raising
money for charity.

OTOH, the need for good communications during an emergency is completely
different.  No matter how much money and technology is available, working a
disaster such as 9/11/2001 will ALWAYS rely on ham radio.  We are the only
game in town, and this will likely continue in the future, due in part to
public apathy in disaster planning.

Keith NM5G