Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms

To: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:49:19 -0400

Michael Tope wrote:

Good points, Rick. That is probably why the ARRL
came up with contests and the DXCC program. Both
programs motivate vast numbers of hams to maintain

Here in Midland County, the EOC has a multi-band ham station right in with the 911 operations. We also have rigs in the mobile EOC and all were paid for by the EOC. We also have packet in each installation and are working with portable repeaters along with ATV. We depend on tall outlying towers for the digipeaters as well as long haul HF.

They take the back up as well as health and welfare communications seriously.
In an emergency they don't want the phone lines tied up with "are you OK" calls. That is one of the things that ham radio can take care of without putting a load on local communications.

We have "shadows" with important personel allowing them to contact people and agencies without having to tie up local lines which may not be available.

Yes, emergency repeaters do have back up, but some one still has to go out and make sure the generators are fueled and running. Batteries do not last forever.

In the case of natural disasters, power to the cell towers is quite likely to go and again their batteries won't last forever.

top notch HF communications capability. DXers and
contesters are probably not the best prepared (unless
they are also active in RACES/ARES) in terms of
interfacing with first responders and other government
disaster recovery organizations (response protocol
stuff), but they are probably best prepared in terms of
being capable of deliverying good readable signals
under adverse propagation conditions.

It takes both trained operators and equipment suitable to the task to get the job done be it a series of digipeaters, or HF voice or CW. Up here CW is considered and essential mode as well as the modern ones. It may not get used often, but they want the capability.

Now, back to my 160 meter half sloper construction.

Roger (K8RI)