Re: [TowerTalk] use of flourescents

To: "htoner2000" <htoner2000@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] use of flourescents
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:07:51 -0700
Are these digital or analog (motor driven) clocks?  All the same (or
similar) model and mfr?
I assume that they are AC line connected (not battery powered?)
Are these conventional "magnetic" ballasted lamps, or new Compact
Fluorescents, with integral electronic ballasts?

The electronic ballasted fluorescent lamps are probably drawing current that
is highly non-sinusoidal, and putting a fair amount of 2nd harmonic on the
line, which is confusing the zero crossing detector in the clock.    What's
the rated Power Factor on the lamps? If it's high enough, then the harmonic
content should be low. Likewise if the the lamps have a CE mark.   However,
be aware that not all manufacturers are scrupulous in correctly marking
(particularly for very cheap lamps from non-deep pockets mfrs, they may just
mark it without having actually determined whether it's in compliance.)

Oh yes... does the behavior change with temperature (of the lamps) or how
long they've been on?  You've probably noticed that CF lamps get steadily
brighter over 10 minutes or so.  The current drawn changes during that time,
and for inexpensive ballasts the waveform probably also changes (it's
basically a PWM inverter to limit the current).

( by the way, I'd love to know the make and models involved to try this
experiment.. and hook it up to a scope to look.)

Jim Lux, W6RMK