Re: [TowerTalk] Wilson 5 element 20 meter monobander

To: <mel.martin@axare.mail.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wilson 5 element 20 meter monobander
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:51:34 -0400
I think it depends on what the "extra" element is doing.  If it's close to
the DE as in WA3FET's OWA designs (used by K3LR and others), as I heard 'FET
and 'LR note in the Dayton Antenna Forum talk on their 4-el 40, the "first
director" is really a part of the DE, as they described it, more of a
"parasitic driven element..." you end up with kind of a "log cell" feed of 2
elements, though they're not hardwired together as they would be in a
traditional log cell.

I totally accept your argument, and K3LR's note that in this situation a
4-element really should be considered to be a 3-element.

With the older even-element-spacing designs like the Telrex and others, I
think the front to back, bandwidth, or other improvements are a little more
illusive.

73 - Rich, KE3Q