RE: [TowerTalk] Cable TV hardline question

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Cable TV hardline question
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:13:54 -0500
The difference in the two is likely power handling and loss rating.  The
bigger size probably has a larger center conductor, better dielectric
material and shielding, which normally gets the higher ratings.

If you can spare the extra bucks, get the Buryflex or similar 50 ohm cable.
Your transceiver with thank you for it.  For runs more than a couple hundred
feet you will suffer considerable loss with .4 inch cable at 30MHz and
above.  Many prefer to pay extra for larger diameter cable which is rated
for lower loss, such as LMR600.  I have a long piece of Andrews 7/8 hardline
(taken from a cell tower being upgraded to 1.5 inch) which is really low
loss for longer runs.

Keith NM5G