Re: [TowerTalk] Conduit runs in tower base

To: "Craig Sande" <craig.sande@sbcglobal.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conduit runs in tower base
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:05:06 -0500
This is how I handled getting the cables to the tower.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm

Although my conduit (3") comes up outside and into the bottom of the "Hoffman Boc" you could also come into the back of the box. To exit the box you would either come out the bottom or use a downward pointing sweep 90 which would create a "drip loop" in the cables.

There are many ways this can be done and the photos are only meant as a guide or suggestion.
You could come up in the center of the base or just outside the base. Don't get too close to the tower legs in the concrete as it might create a weak point, but a lot depends on the quality of the concrete.

One thing I would do with the conduit. I'd use at least twice the size I figure I needed for those "just-in-case" situations.

BTW, the cables have been "neatened up" since those photos were shot and now run up the inside of the tower.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I am getting ready to pour the base for a 70 foot crank up tower by Tashjian Towers. Initally I plan only one run of Bury Flex by Davis RF to a remote coax switch on the tower, a control line for the coax switch, a control line for the rotor, and power & control lines for the tower motor with remote control option. I would like a neat installation, as it will be in the back patio area (e.g. concrete or pavers will surround the base after installation).

Does the following sound ok (tower newbie here)? Three sweeps of 3/4 or 1" conduit terminating just below and inside each tower leg on top and exiting into trenches radiating from the tower for the buried ground radial system (2-0 stranded copper); one 1" conduit sweep to buried conduit for the 120 VAC for the tower motor; and two 2" conduit sweeps to buried conduit run for the RF cable(s) and low voltage lines.

Where should I terminate the conduit sweeps for the 120VAC, RF, and control lines relative to the tower cage so that they won't be in the way of the tower, but won't be too far away?

Should I put a double 90" at the top of the sweep for the coax to keep rain out, or connect the two 2" sweeps to some sort of metal junction box? How should I stabilize the junction box if used (e.g. metal channel coming out of the concrete or simply attached to the conduit)?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Craig, AE7I