[TowerTalk] Rohn 65G

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 65G
From: dennis o'connor <k8do@mailblocks.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:42:14 -0800
I have taken down a 270 foot tower with a crane... the crane is your path of least resistance and what it costs in money will be repaid times ten in reduced sweat, time, and injury... For picking up the assembled tower, it will be snatched about 1/3 down from the top... This leaves weight on the base as it is tipped upwards, and weight outboard of the snatch point, reducing the bending moment in the center of the tower to avoid tweaking it...
A single snatch point, down from the top, will leave it hanging at a small angle... This is usually not a problem with pivot mount legs as one or two legs can be set into alignment and then by booming sideways the tower will tip to straight up... If you have to drop the legs straight down to couple to the base, then a higher snatch point will be needed... My gut feeling is that 65 Rohn will tolerate that kind of abuse in the hands of a skilled rigger...

Denny - k8do

---------------------------------------------- Mailblocks - A Better Way to Do Email http://about.mailblocks.com/info