Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 65G

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 65G
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:51:14 -0500
W8JI wrote:

>I just picked up a 300 ft Rohn 65G tower. Anyone on this
>reflector had any experience installing this stuff?
>
>I'm thinking of either hiring a tall crane (I'll bet that is
>big bucks!) or using 30 feet of Rohn 25G with some homebrew
>clamps as an erection fixture.

Assuming you have 10' sections, 30' of 25G works fine for
that. If you have 20' sections, you should use a 60' gin
pole, with 25' above and 35' below the top of the existing
tower. Use a small boom truck to set the first few sections
(up to the first guy bay), and away you go.

You won't have any trouble stacking it, as long as whatever
you're using for a sky hook is positioned well. 20' sections
only weigh 300 lbs or so.

Yep, a hydraulic crane with 300' reach is not cheap - I spent
10K on one for a day a while back, but it was on a paying
job.... Rates vary greatly though, and if you do the job in
two picks, and have all your guys ready, you should be able
to get it done in half a day crane time. It's easier with a
crane for sure, but you still have to bolt all the sections
together, and maneuvering 300 lb. sections together on the
ground is not my idea of fun unless a boom truck is on site.

>If I attach to the 65G tower near the top, is it pretty easy
>to manhandle into alignment?  Is it a mistake to fool with
>65 instead of just using 55? I'm looking at it and thinking
>it will be a lot of work.
>
>I thought if I put up the 65 it would outlast me regardless
>of what antennas I put on it.

Well, it depends on what will eventually go on the tower. 65 is
not overkill for 80 meter yagis, for example. If I had 300' of 65,
and I wanted a 300' ham tower - let's see - yes, I'd use it!

Steve K8LX