[TowerTalk] Chrome Molly tube.

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chrome Molly tube.
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:58:50 -0500
I'm looking for some chrome molly tube to replace the structural steel I'm using now.

I currently have 2 22-23 foot long pieces of 1 1/2 inch with 1/4 inch wall butt welded together. Over the splice is a 24 foot length of 2" which just nicely fits over the 1 1/2.

This is on a 97 foot ROHN 45-G.
There is a TH5 at 100 feet, mounted on the 2" pipe.
At 115 feet there is a 7-L 6-meter C3i Yagi mounted on the 1 1/2 pipe right at the top of the 2".
At 130 feet is a pair of 12 L vertically polarized 2-meter yagis on a 14 foot cross boom.
There is a pair of 11 L vertically polarized 440 yagis inboard of the 2-meter yagis on the same boom.

When the winds hit 50 to 70 MPH the thing looks like a blue gill fly rod that just tied into a Bass. I find it amazing the VHF and UHF antennas have held together for two winters.

My thoughts are the Chrome molly tube would be more rigid, albeit a whale of a lot more expensive.

Any thoughts? Socially acceptable suggestions?

Thanks

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com