Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:16:42 -0500
Slopers are notoriously variable in their performance. This is because the tower itself is fully in play, as are the antennas on it.

A particular tower/antenna system is usually very difficult to model accurately, as is the base connection to actual ground. And it is entirely possible to change something on the tower and detune the sloper. And so the unpredictability and variation in results.

A sloper is also sensitive to the ground radial system (or lack thereof).

There is a long well thought out thread in the TopBand reflector archives:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=slopers&submit=Search%21&idxname=Topband&max=20&result=normal&sort=score

This is a recurring subject among 160 operators because the size of antennas on that band begs for short solutions.

73, Guy

----- Original Message ----- From: "KJ0M" <kj0m@mchsi.com>