Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:39:35 -0800
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>; "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>;
"K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>; "Tower Talk List"
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 7:45 AM

That practice may not be all that easy to determine, short of major
dismantling of the car.  It's not documented in the owner's manual (nor
would I expect it to be), nor, interestingly, in the regular shop manual for
my car.  It's apparently documented in some other manual having to do with
installation of options.  At the dealer, it's no problem for them, because
all the manuals are online in some sort of snazzy hypertext system merged
with ordering systems, stock keeping, etc..

When I installed an aftermarket CD changer (pin compatible with the stock
item) that there was an explicit ground wire for it (and for the AF power
amp that sits underneath it) in the compartment at the back of the car.  The
wire disappeared into the wiring harness, and went I know not where.

My questions to the dealer about installing "two-way radio" were met with
"that's not recommended, and we don't have any information."  Not
withstanding that they use Passats as police cars in Germany, with radios
installed.

I suppose if you're buying a Ford Crown Vic, you'd have no problem...there's
probably a whole book on installing radios in them.

I'd hate to be an installer for high end car audio systems these days.
Someone who spends several kilobucks for that nifty DVD player surround
sound GPS nav system to be installed into their $50,000 SUV is going to be
mighty cranky when the dealer tells them that replacing the $2000 fried
computer isn't covered under warranty because of the aftermarket sound
system.

But, this brings up an interesting idea.  There might be useful information
on modern car electrical systems available from places catering to the
aftermarket installation of radios (like Crutchfield?).

Jim, W6RMK