Re: [TowerTalk] Installing Ground Rods was (Tower Wench)

To: K8RI on Tower Talk <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing Ground Rods was (Tower Wench)
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:58:21 -0500
Nice pictures Roger.
Only problem with your installation method is you do not have as good a ground connection with earth as you would if they were driven in.

It is recommended that rods be driven in. Washing them in is probably the worst way to install them as the earth is disturbed and will never be packed tightly around the rod as it would be with driven rods.

73
Gary  K4FMX

K8RI on Tower Talk wrote:
I still like the good old water drill. It's cheap and easy to use.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm I've posted it before, but I think it's germane to this discussion.
It works well in sand, clay, or clay . IOW, soil without a lot of rocks.

Another possibility, although I've not tried it would be a hammer drill. Some are large enough to chuck up a 5/8" rod.
It'd be an interesting experiment. Again, as virtually any other method, wet soil makes the installation easier.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com