Re: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding

To: Charlie <ad5th@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:22:10 -0500
They were not experts that you heard that from.

It is true that there is nothing you can do to prevent a strike but there is plenty you can do to deal with one and prevent it from doing damage.

Lightning is not unpredictable as many think, as to how it will travel to ground or what path it will take.
The only thing that is unpredictable about it is how large of a strike you will get.

73
Gary K4FMX

Charlie wrote:
I've always heard even from lightning experts that there is little one can do to stop or even minimize the affects of a direct hit.

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Live Blues Music
www.492acousticblues.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Shell" <n6ws@charter.net> To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:36 PM Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding

In 1966, I lost a tower to a lightning strike. The tower was a 50ft Rohn 25 with three sets of two guys. The tower was grounded an the base with ground rods and heavy guage wire going up about 3-4 ft where it attached to the tower legs. Unfortunately, the strike went down one of the guys, over or through the heavy-duty egg insulators to the guy anchor where it cracked the cement open. The tower, having lost the anchor point for one set of guys, just tipped over into my neighbors yard.
I didn't have any grounds on the guy anchor points. I had thought there was no need, since the guys were broken at several points with egg insulators. I was wrong. Lightning is too unpredictable to follow rules.

73, Bill
N6WS