RE: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding

To: "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:18:36 -0000
And after all that throw in a few more factors.  The near fields, both
magnetic and electric, can do lots of damage also.  The magnetic field can
be enough to induce voltages that can flashover power line insulators up to
about 69kv, even if they don't hit the line directly.  And the transient
electric fields can do very strange things... think about the reports of
hair standing on end before a nearby stroke, why does that happen?? Because
a large quantity of charge is attracted by the downward moving leader over
the period of maybe a couple seconds.  This inrush of charge is relatively
slow, but can be huge... this is followed by the generation of streamers
from pointy objects as that charge tries to meet the downward leader, also
see st elmo's fire... while these streamers are relatively low current they
are evidence of the build up of charge on the ground and all objects under
the leader.  They can have enough charge to zap sensitive electronics like
tv preamps, satellite dishes, and other not so well protected pointy things.
Then suddenly the leader connects to a streamer and some of the charge is
neutralized very quickly... what happens to the rest of it???  Now it is
repelling from itself and can cause a rush of current away from the stroke
attachment point, especially if there are wires that were not hit that
provide a good path away from the stroke.

Lightning is indeed a very complex phenomenon, and obviously requires great
respect, especially when you are intentionally putting up a big pointy
object in your back yard!

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net