RE: [TowerTalk] SSV foundation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] SSV foundation
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:08:06 -0000

> Mark:
>
>      What I believe I know about the pier/pad style of foundation is that
> it
> exploits the mechanical properties of the covering soil.  (Short tutorial
> for those who care:  a pier and pad foundation consists of two parts: a
> thick slab of reinforced concrete at the bottom of the excavation and a
> pier, or slimmer vertical column of reinforced concrete, poured on top of
> the slab or pad.  Kind of like an inverted letter T in the hole.)

one more very important part of the pier/pad foundation is the tying
together of the pier and pad with proper rebar.  The pier just doesn't get
poured on top, it must have sufficient rebar to be solidly attached to the
pad or you end up with just a small pier sitting on a rock with very little
overturning resistance.  It's a bit more complicated than pouring a footing
for a house foundation where you are more worried about supporting weight
than resisting overturning moments.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net