Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF vs AC

To: <keith@dutson.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF vs AC
From: <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:31:07 -0600
I'm a little confused by Martin's question.

I thought the whole idea behind an SPG was to not only
MAKE SURE the two grounds were connected, but to
eliminate the distinction.

Have I missed something?

73, kelly
ve4xt

> From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
> Date: 2005/02/25 Fri PM 03:39:09 CST
> To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF
vs AC

> >If you cross-connect your ham & AC power grounds,
any such fault currents
> will flow in your ground system too, for better or
worse.

> AFAIK, every piece of ham gear that uses a three
prong AC cord has the
> safety (green) wire securely attached to the chassis.
If you attach a
> ground strip from the chassis to the ham system
ground, does this meet your
> definition of "cross connect"?
>
> Keith NM5G

Behalf Of Martin AA6E
> Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 3:11 PM
> To: keith@dutson.net; towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF
vs AC

> Keith,
>
> I believe "fault" is the general electrical term for power
going where it
> shouldn't.  That's why we have protective system
grounds in AC systems.  If
> there is a short circuit in an appliance connecting the
hot side to the
> chassis, a fault current flows in the ground lead and
the user is protected.

> A GFCI detects even tiny fault currents and shuts off
the circuit asap.
> (It detects a difference between hot & neutral current,
as you
> suggest.)  That's a good thing, but old-fashioned fault
protection involves
> blowing the upstream fuse or breaker with an
overload current.
>  That's one reason why your branch circuit wiring has
to be matched to your
> breaker - to be sure it will trip quickly if there is a
short.

> If you cross-connect your ham & AC power grounds,
any such fault currents
> will flow in your ground system too, for better or
worse.

> -Martin (who is not an electrician)
>
> --- Keith Dutson <kjdutson@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > You wrote:
> > >The problem with connecting the AC green wire to
the radio room
> > ground and
> > then connecting my bulkhead "SPG" to a new
ground rod or even a
> > perimeter ground connection is that my radio
installation becomes part
> > of the AC protective ground system for the house.
That is, any house
> > fault or other current will partly be routed through my
radio ground
> > system. Is that what we want?
> >
> > When you say "house fault" I assume you are
referencing a ground
> >fault  circuit interrupter (GFCI) system.  Such a
system interacts with
> >the  white  neutral ground, not the green safety
ground.  So the answer

____

> See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self
Supporting Towers", "Wireless
> Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free,
1-800-333-9041 with any

____