Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF vs AC

To: msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF vs AC
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:02:40 -0500

Martin AA6E wrote:
> Maybe - If your equipment is grounded via the green AC wire (third pin)
> AND to a separate ground, then you have to expect some current will
> flow from one "ground" to the other under various fault or surge
> scenarios.

This is why the NEC requires ALL ground systems be bonded together.
This is exactly why I said you should run a wire from your new ground
system for the radio, over to the AC original ground system.

> A lot of rigs now don't have a 3-wire power connection, but rely on
> external 12 volt supplies, whose outputs could be floating with respect
> to the AC third wire ground.  Potentially (no pun), that's a good thing
> if you want an isolated system.

It is not a good thing if you are looking for lightning protection. You
do not want an additional path to ground at the radio. You would have
one with an arc from radio to AC ground if it is not tied to it.

73
Gary  K4FMX