Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaner

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaner
From: "Simms Kevin" <ksimms@pcconnection.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:58:53 -0500
Back in the day, we would clean teletype frame rails in the sonic
cleaner with just plain water or a little dish washing detergent.  To
remove the paint from small parts we would soak them over night in pure
401 cleaner.  Too much soap in the sonic cleaner would turn some metal
parts black.  I thought the bubbles in the water did most of the
cleaning.  The soap was just to break up the machine oil.  If the parts
you are cleaning do require oil I would wash them by hand.

Gentlemen:

I did'nt want to start a big thing about the cleaning solutions - I just
wanted to know if there was a "Martha Stewart" type of solution (Other
than
dish soap) that would work for cleaning pot metal, brass, stainless
steel,
etc.

---
It really depends on what you want to clean off the metal.  If there's
some
sort of grease or oil in the crud, then something mildly basic (a bit of
ammonia in the water?) will help get it off.  If there are metal
carbonates,
etc., then some mild acid (i.e. vinegar in water) will help. (obviously
you
don't want to do both at the same time)

Organic solvents (acetone, MEK, alcohol, 111-TCE) also work, but you
have
the flammability/safety issue, and organic solvents don't do much for
inorganic crud (corrosion, rust, etc.)