Re: [TowerTalk] telerex

To: "Joe Barnes" <n4jbk@bellsouth.net>,"David Jordan" <wa3gin@erols.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] telerex
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:51:43 -0500
Good comments, Dave.

I thought of another thing to add.  Because of the through-the-boom element
mounting, it was prohibitively difficult (which means almost impossible) to
put the antenna together on top of the tower, which is often done.  That is,
first put up the boom, then take up the elements one at a time and bolt them
on.  This approach is especially popular with the larger monobanders, and
larger homebrew monobanders.  With a "tilt mount," you can reach both ends
of the boom from the tower.  So, the heavy, and large, Telrex antennas had
to be put up all in one piece -- with rope and pulleys, tram, or crane, etc.

Even with a Telrex on a tilt mount, it'd still be challenging, at least, to
take elements in and out of the through-the-boom mounting holes.  I guess it
wouldn't be as hard with, say, 10M elements.  Still, the plate with U-bolts
approach on the outside of the boom approach has lots of simplicity
advantages.

73 - Rich, KE3Q