Re: [TowerTalk] steppIR Gain--test method

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] steppIR Gain--test method
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:43:38 -0500

Tom Rauch wrote:

> This is why we see all the weird gain claims that exceed
> theoretical limits, and why with patience we eventually all
> the fantasy antenna designs that in a few weeks or years
> just flop.
>
> To put it in a few words, anyone buying an antenna based on
> a claimed or perceived advantage of  a couple dB or less is
> probably not using the best information to make a choice.
> Appearance, life, reliability, weight, neat features like
> flipping directions instantly....all very good reasons.
>
> Gain, when the data is likely to be off more than the
> difference, is not a wise focus.

I agree with Tom here. Splitting hairs over a db or two is not
realistic. You have no way of really knowing. And the manufacturer
probably doesn't either.
I have always looked at boom length. If they are about the same I assume
gain will be about the same. Not a whole lot of magic you can do.

73
Gary  K4FMX