Re: [TowerTalk] steppIR Gain--test method

To: "Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@comcast.net>, <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] steppIR Gain--test method
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:16:41 -0500
> Yes, except that as someone else aptly pointed out, they
dont have to
> compromise gain for bandwidth.
>
> The other thing that could happen is since all the
elements are variable,
> they COULD have one set of lengths for max gain and and
another for F/R.

But Ty, the point is:

1.) the difference between the two is so minor no one should
really care anyway

2.) at maximum gain losses in the connections, dielectrics,
and conductors might skew the results so that gain is equal
to or less than something with lower loss elements optimized
for F/B. No one in the world probably knows what actual gain
of the things being compared is anyway.

What I see time and time again is something that is
unimportant or poorly defined or accurately measured becomes
the focus of building, buying, or selling. Like SWR is to
people buying multiband antennas, when those antennas are
10% or less efficient on some bands.

73 Tom