Re: [TowerTalk] Cold Solder Tool

To: "'Mark Pride'" <mpride@us.ibm.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cold Solder Tool
From: "J A Ritter" <w0uce@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:00:54 -0500
Direct answers to your question from my experience with Cold Heat at
$19.95...

1. Runs on 4 AA batteries?  It heats up... Mine gets warm enough to melt
solder so long as contact is made between both sides of the tip.

2. How do these devices play in cold weather? Mine doesn't play as
advertised in cold or warm weather, spring, summer, fall or winter

3. Is it possible to solder items like PL-259 connectors or
radials at vertical bases?  Mine does not get hot enough to solder a
lineman's splice on 18G silver coated wire

4. Heats to 500 degrees but within seconds, you can touch the tip
without danger. Maybe it does, I have never measured the tip temperature
by touching my finger to it.

5. Only $19.95 - is it too good to believe for ham type projects? I
would NEVER buy another.  Invest $5.00 more and get a portable butane
soldering iron.

The last time I tried to address similar questions the Reflector
Moderator rejected my post.  I have answered your questions directly,
lets see if this is acceptable to the Moderator's Standards.

73,
Jack W0UCE

Seeking opinions regarding the use of these TV advertised Soldering Iron
(Cold Tip type).  and?

Regards,

Mark, K1RX