Re: [TowerTalk] Just when I thought AZ was safe

To: wf3h@comcast.net, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Just when I thought AZ was safe
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:59:45 -0800
At 03:16 PM 3/28/2005, wf3h@comcast.net wrote:
>We just put money down on a property and got a copy of the deed restrictions.
>
>Pinal County, AZ has no restrictions on ham towers, BUT the deed does have
>a CCR restricting tower height. However, there is NO homeowner's
>association to enforce the CCR. So how does this work? If a neighbor
>complained, who would they complain to? Who would enforce it?

Depends on your local laws, etc., but most likely, any homeowner in the
original tract could sue in court to enforce the CC&Rs.  There's probably
some language in the CC&R document that describes it.  The CC&R is
essentially a contractual agreement between the property owner and some
other entity (whatever that might be, usually the HOA).  That other entity
(or its successors and/or assigns, as the term of art has it) is the one
who would have standing to sue for performance of the agreement.

Best to ask a real estate lawyer in your area who's familiar with all this
stuff.  It might only cost $50-100 or so to find out. It might even be
free.  Our local bar association has a deal where you can spend $20 to get
a referral to a lawyer who will give you the first 30 minutes free...
they'll not represent you for that, but you can get a bunch of questions
answered in a non-binding sort of way.  Likewise, your friendly ARRL
Volunteer Counsel might be able to give you the quick and dirty answer.

A friend, W6GL, ran into this sort of problem. He had CC&Rs, but the HOA
had gone out of business and ceased to exist some years before.  His
neighbor sued to enforce the CC&Rs, but I don't recall what the final
outcome was, aside from John spending many kilobucks in legal fees, going
to many hearings at the city, etc.  However, he does have his tower up.