Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning attraction to "attic dipoles"

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>,"TOWERTALK" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning attraction to "attic dipoles"
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:20:43 +0000
I wouldn't be worried that the dipole will "attract" lightning but the fact
will remain that any nearby strike (maybe within a mile or so) will definitely
induce a current in the dipole.  If it's attached to your rig with no lightning
arrestor which is grounded well to an outside ground, damage may occur.  Simply
disconnecting may save the rig but if the induced energy is large enough, that
may jump out of the coax into the house.  House fires can be nasty!  So, IMHO,
the same lightning grounding requirements, including a tie in to the electrical
service ground, still apply fully, even with indoor antennas.  Do a search on
the archives on this list for mucho info on what others do and recommend.  Gd
luck, Phil  KB9CRY