[TowerTalk] re; Whiskers growing where you cannot shave them

To: "'Bob Lombardi'" <boblombardi@cfl.rr.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re; Whiskers growing where you cannot shave them
From: "Al Toothaker" <N6TA@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:31:27 -0800
The thread on whiskers could use a little clarification.

The question about lead (Pb) in Europe is an issue over health concerns, not
electrical sort circuits.

Whiskers are an issue in reliability of (usually space) components and
circuits.  The culprits are Tin >97% pure, 100% pure cadmium and 100% pure
zinc.  If these metals are NOT pure, there is little problem.

It is only 100% pure that cause the problems.  Many users of hi rel
components and anything that is plated with pure metals are requiring legal
certs that they are NOT using the prohibited materials.  There are new
instruments now on the market just to test for compliance with the rules
against these prohibited materials.  It is a real big deal right now.

They just hate to have mission hardware fail due to whiskers...
Al
N6TA