Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Self-Supp. Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Self-Supp. Towers
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:43:22 -0600
How many of you "experts" have had first hand experience in guying
self supporting towers??
Look in the Delhi Metal Products catalog and you will see that they
use the same configurations (base, sections) for their self supporting
and guyed towers.
My experience is that guying a self supporting tower works for me.

Doug

Help, Steve, it's time for one of your orations about "Do what the
manufacturer says"!
Isn't it true that guying a tower that is designed to be self-supporting
may actually derate the tower, through applying loads that weren't provided
for in the original design?
As for power lines 60 feet from a 100-foot steel tower -- whew, not me, man!

73, Pete N4ZR

Dont do this just with some casual or seemingly intuitive thought. Most
self supporting towers are NOT designed for guyed service. Consult with a
regiestered PE of with the tower mfr or your own chosing. You may be creating a
cndx more unsafe than leaving the tower unguyed.

73, Bob  K8IA

I'd heartily suggest you reconsider your plan to guy a self supporting tower.
These towers are designed to not be guyed and guying one may actually create a
falling hazard on its own.  My understanding is that most of these types of
towers
are designed to twist in wind loads.  This twisting allows the torque force to
be transmitted into the tower sections and therefore to relieve itself.  If you
prevent such twist by guying the tower, you may actually create a bad situation.
I'd ask the tower manufacturer for their recommendations.  As far as the power
lines, I'd make sure that the tower/base/all components are well designed and
installed.  Ground the heck out of the tower and cables and you shouldn't have
a concern.  Just my opinion.
Good luck, Phil  KB9CRY

--
Doug Renwick VA5DX
PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0