Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: "Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@comcast.net>, <keith@dutson.net>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:56:55 -0400
> If it were mine, I wouldnt let it set around a long time
in a coil, no
> matter what the sales people tell you.

Hi Ty,

The only thing the **sales people** told me was they leave
it lay around in coils for long periods of time before
shipping, sometimes for years.

If you read my post, I very clearly wrote the **engineer**
told me it wasn't a problem. The sales people referred me to
the engineer after I badgered them about the data I always
see saying leaving it in coils **is**  a problem, when they
said it was not a problem.

Of course it is possible:

1.) The engineer didn't really know his butt from a hole in
the ground, and mine will shatter tonight

2.) The batch you had was (his words) "probably defective"

3.) They changed the production mix before he was hired and
he won't admit it or didn't know about it

Now I'm not telling anyone else what to do with their
Polygon rod, but I certainly never would have bought the
stuff if I couldn't store it in coils. The few cents a foot
or the labor it saves over other systems isn't worth it to
me if it comes with storage headaches.

I've had some laying around here in 1000 ft coils about four
years without a problem, and another second batch for about
a year or so. I'm going to leave mine just like it is,
because I'm 100% sure if I stretch several thousand feet
around in the fields and woods it will be "foo-bar" in very
short order.

If I were going to buy some Polygon rod, I'd just do what
the factory says is OK. If they told me to uncoil it, I
would. Since I badgered the heck out of them and they told
ME not to worry, that is exactly what I am doing. If anyone
else has spoken to Polygon within the last several years, it
would be interesting to see what they were told.

73 Tom