Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:19:59 -0500
I can certainly understand your feelings toward the stressing of fiberglass
rod based on the failures you have seen.  However, I now offer some personal
experience that is in the opposite direction.

About 30 years ago I purchased quite a few 20 foot lengths of 5/8 fiberglass
rod to use in building a Quad.  Of course, I soon found that this size is
too flexible to use as spreaders for 10 meters.  I had to buy larger rod,
1/2 I think, to get the job done.

A friend came over and asked if he could have one of the 20 foot long 5/8
rods.  He wanted to glue some 10 gauge solid copper wire to it and use it as
a vertical antenna.  Although I cautioned him about the flexibility, he
tried it anyway.  Needless to say, the rod easily bent over and the wire
became unglued in several places.  He tried guying the rod but that was also
a failure.  We laughed it off, and he left this on his roof for many years
with the rod bent over about double from its own weight and that of the
wire.  The rod never failed.  When he moved from Texas to California I
helped him take it down.  It looked white from exposure to the sun, but was
not cracked at all.  It seemed to have the same resilience as when
purchased.

Based on this experience, I can only conclude that your fiberglass rod had a
manufacturing defect.  And I am wondering if the failure was a blessing in
disguise so that you did not put it into service.

Keith NM5G