Re: [TowerTalk] Real numbers for Rohn BX-64 Re: guying

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Real numbers for Rohn BX-64 Re: guying
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:11:45 +0000
NM5G added:

>LOL es gud luck!
>
>When it comes time to climb your tower, you will be lucky to find a good
>climber willing to risk life and limb for you.  There is also a pucker
>factor in climbing a tower taller than about 100 feet.  For example, seeing
>tree tops below you is a whole new feeling.

<snip>

I'll do the climbing.  I may no longer be willing to face away from the
tower in order to reach a loose bolt out on a boom 70m up & I
doubt I would be willing to do any of the things required to get
antennas up at W7RM (like dropping most guys on 50m of AB105
to winch up 140-150 kg of 40m monobander, meaning as you look
beneath you the tower is no longer there due to the deflection -
something I would only trust the late, great Rush Drake to do), but
if it wasn't clear, I don't see how BX-like anything can be extended
& loaded & still be safe.

If it was, then why bother going to anything more robust than BX-like
stuff for the majority of amateur installations?  The late W7FU's 75m
KLM (4-el?) on 50m of 45G gave me the willies & one might argue that
the same technique could make it possible to do the same on 25G.

Where is my hack saw?  It's the middle of the night here - I'll go
nick some Water Authority pipes & use them to fly a stack of TH6s on
the roof of my flat later this morning... ;^)

Per specs or pay the PE - or take your chances - no arguments here,
mate.

73, VR2BrettGraham